Monday, February 25, 2008

our first scare

Last Friday, I had to take the trio to the doctor's office for their montly RSV (bad virus in kids) prevention shot. While we were there, I had them check out Mary's ears since she had been so "not like Mary" lately...and they found a mild ear infection which was to be treated with antibiotics.

Later Friday evening, as Mary lay glued to me...inconsolable and burning up, I took her temp and was horrified to discover it was over 103 degrees!!! A call to the doctor and a quick look at the rash that was developing on Mary immediately led me (and the other 2 kiddo's) to the ER at around 7pm. I was extremely worried that she was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and couldn't get to the hospital fast enough!

Poor Mary - vomiting, burning up, and listless... while the other 2 looked on - clueless as to where we were and what was going on. (All they cared about was that they were not having to go to bed just yet! And oh wait, "daddy" was here, too!)

Thankfully, Mary's rash was attributed to her high fever and she wasn't allergic to the medicine. She had a very bad virul infection (due to her ear ache) and was back home by 10pm.

I am sure this is only the first of many ER scares that we will have over the next few years!