Wednesday, May 25, 2011

the bathroom

As I was standing in the 2 stall bathroom at Burger King, holding the doors shut for the "privacy" my three so much desired, I started thinking about just HOW MUCH TIME I spend in the darn bathroom.

It isn't as though I am not in there enough, on my own accord... but add 4 kiddos to the mix (yes, although Abby isn't potty trained, she is constantly crawling into the bathroom to either "honey dip" into the toilet, or stand on the step stool to wash her hands in the sink) and I find myself spending a good portion of my day in the bathroom.

I am either wiping hineys, or washing hands, or cleaning up the "I peed my pants and sprayed the wall" (insert-thank you, Mateo), or switching toilets while I am mid stream because someone "can only go on that potty, mommy!" It is the room where we all gather to sing songs, or read books, or talk about our day... because doing these activities in the family room would require us to spread out and be comfortable... not crowded and holding our noses because of the stench.

Public restrooms seem to be the favorite and most frequent of the children since they can't go alone... "grimy, I have to touch every toilet handle" public restrooms... And then, even after I have lined the toilet seat with TP, and step outside the stall to give them the "privacy" to poop (and of course we have to poop every time we are out of the house) they jump off to lock the door (because me holding it isn't enough) and then they can't get back on the toilet seat without knocking the TP off the seat.... so it is a never-ending circle. And if I get lucky, they figure out how to unlock the stall door and let themselves out.

Sometimes we just "try" to go potty... other times we are "waiting it out to see what happens".. and sometimes it is an "emergen-C".

Back and forth... in and out.... the bathroom is OUR favorite place to be.