Sunday, July 6, 2008

the touch of a hand

I had a "moment" last night that I just can't let slip away....

I was up with Mateo again - and what has become his usual 2:30am crying, whining, wake up call... but this time, we had decided to let him cry it out and not pick him up at all. I had gone into his room every 10-15minutes (for over an hour)... rubbing his back, laying him back down to go to sleep, and was starting to grow very weary (not to mention extremely tired).... when around 4am it happend....

while starting to lay down again, Mateo stuck his tiny little hand out through the spindles of his crib and grabbed my hand. So simple. So sweet. So powerful. He held it tightly....as though his restful, peaceful sleep depended on it... and my heart melted.

He finally did fall asleep....and I do hope he quickly learns to sleep through the night... but for now, I guess I won't complain too much about my late night wake up calls.