Saturday, January 24, 2009

waving the white flag

I surrender...the white flag is waving...and I have been defeated.

Normally, today's events, in each their own, wouldn't have been that bad...but when you take hit after hit - all day long - it wears a person down. I think that was THEIR intent. Compiled with the fact that of all days, Lou was on call at the hospital for over 12hours... well, he was the lucky one, I'd say...

Don't let their cute little faces fool you. Behind the exterior are devious little ones... with their own likes (and dislikes) thoughts and wants. In other words - real human beings that have entered the world of "toddler hood."

I should have seen it coming. This week has been a good one and all good things, as we all know, must come to an end.

The day started with me finding their humidifier, filled with water, tipped over... carpet soaked and et all dripping wet. Who was to blame? "Not I" said the little red hen. Then the dispute over how to put the girls hair back (can you tell Gabby won that argument?) and what to have for breakfast. At least I won that one.... no soup for you!

Hit after hit... all morning of "mine" and "no" and "I want".... nap time couldn't come soon enough. But it is on those days when you NEED nap time the most (and yes, all of you moms know what I am talking about) they refuse to cooperate.

So on my 5th trip into the bedroom to find out why 2 out of the 3 still aren't sleeping after an hour into their nap, I discover why Mateo isn't (dirty diaper) and why Mary is (she is bottomless - yet again). But as I am trying to cover up the bare hiney with a diaper, I realize that she has peed her entire bed. Yet I am not dismayed...I can handle this... grab a towel and let her sleep on it. Unfortunately, sleeping beauty didn't get to finish her nap because thing 1 and thing 2 continued to talk and cry and not sleep during their nap....so hers ended up being cut short.

But still... I am strong... I encounter this on most days... not to worry. I can handle it.

Upon returning from the laundry (that I now must do...due to peed on linens) I find that a box of crackers has been ransacked with crumbs all over... (It wouldn't suprise me if they had climbed ontop of one another - making a human ladder - to reach them.) Stooping over to pick them up while stepping on them and grinding them into the ground...I gave up trying to pick up the crumbs and figured they'd eat the biggest pieces. (Mind you, they wouldn't be hungry if they had eaten just a small portion of the lunch I had given them.)

But while eating, I realize that Mary has something in her hand that isn't a cracker. God help me with this child....her and her bowl issues. Yep...poop. She has pooped and has stuck her hand into the back of her pants and now has it on her hand. STOP EVERYTHING. This is a priority and sanitization needs to happen. (again, this isn't the first time that Mary has done this)... but while trying to clean it, I realize that it is a bigger problem than normal and requires several, several wipes. But while doing this, I inadvertantly leave the dirty diaper in a plastic bag within reach of the other 2 and alas... it has now become a game of "keep away" from Mommy. Sigh.

I should have stopped then. But no, I didn't...and the rest of the afternoon was spent running after the trio who wanted to get into everything that was a "no no." I even bribed them with a trip to the park, but that still didn't help....

After a well eaten dinner (what can I say...who can resist taco bell?) we were off to play for a little bit before bed... and as I cleaned up dinner, I should have known that more awaited me. As I enter the room, I see another naked hiney...and the smell of something not good. Hudini is getting out of every taped diaper that I put on her... and this time, she took it off BEFORE she did her #2. (well, hello mom... you did give her taco bell for dinner!!) But this #2 was embedded into the carpet and into everything else that she has set her pretty little butt onto... including the couch. (Again, Mom...she was just following orders...you told all of them to get their butts onto the couch while you tried to clean up every ounce of poop that you could visibly see). I wish I had known that there was residual - or else I wouldn't have recommended that gathering place.

At this point, the mountain ahead of me was insurmountable and I caved. A woman can only take so much before she is broken... and the amount of poop that I had to clean today was the breaking point.

So tonight... after all the dishes, and high chairs and sippy cups have been washed, and the cleaning of poop and pee is done.....you can bet that even a few drinks and a hot bath won't ease the weariness in my stride and slump in my shoulders. But the hope that tomorrow might be a better day...well, we'll let you know tomorrow.

Man alive...they told me the toddler stage would be tough - but I didn't believe them.