Thursday, January 31, 2008

I've met my match

I used to always wonder why passer-by's would say to me "how do you do it?" My response was always the same... "you just do." (And I never thought it was terribly hard to take care of the three...) "ha" I laughed in the face of the mere task.

As we enter the toddler phase with the triplets, I now KNOW why they asked. It is not only physically draining, but emotional as well! I have met my match...and it comes in the form of three, 2ft toddlers with beautiful smiles that can change their disposition on a dime.

Before, running errands was easy. I would pop them in their car seats, pop the seats in the stroller, and go! They slept in them, ate in them, and stared in awe at their surroundings. They loved to get out and feel the breeze and see so many people "ooh" and "ahhh" over them.

Now, an errand is something that I hesitate doing. How fast can I get it done? (Quick enough for Gabby not to notice that she is sitting in a stroller for more than 5min?) Do I have all the bribing essentials of toys and more importantly, food? Do I have all the pacifiers? The mere pleasure of going "out" is not enough for these three. Do I physically have it in me?

And play time with the trips can be exhausting! They not only like to pull your hair or pull the glasses off your face, but jumping on you is a fun activity! Screams which mean- "she took that from me" or "my turn" are constant. And you had better be fair (i.e. if one has their shoes put on, get ready for the other one to come toddling over for their shoes) or else!!!

So now.. when asked "how do you do it?" I will simply smile and continue to say "you just do" - but deep down, I know that I am asking myself the same question!