Thursday, May 15, 2014

in a blink of an eye

It is so cliche` - "in a blink of an eye" - yet, so true.  The other night, as I was assisting in the bedtime routine (ahem, I don't get them ready for bed anymore... they can do that themselves!) it occurred to me that the trio are 7.  SEVEN.  I don't know if it was the content of the conversation, or me noticing that they were reading the wheel of fortune answer... but the idea SLAMMED me in the face.  What happened to 5 or 6?  Or even Abby's age of 4? 
trio at age 4
Why is time flying by so fast and why am I  missing it?  It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day events and by the time evening draws to a close, I am exhausted - even though that is really the only time in the day that I can experience my beautiful babies.  Bittersweet, it is.  I wish our brains could compartmentalize and at any given moment I could recall a memory from any time in their lives.  Whether it be the mornings that Mateo wants to give me a hug and kiss as he wakes up... or Mary giving me a loving look and reaching for my hand... to Gabby's giggle as she is flipped upside down... or Abby's longing for that dang "ba" (ie pacifier).  Hang on to those memories!